' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Of rusty supplies...

Saturday 1 April 2017

Of rusty supplies...

No April fool, no joke, we're going rusty at Country View Challenges! All lovers of things aged, distressed, grunged up this is your chance to shine and maybe win a £20 voucher to spend on goodies!

For my first project I used a professional product to ensure a perfect rust! Rust powder is the simplest and truest rust form possible for crafting... Here in the UK, it is sold by popular brand Paper Artsy, and stocked in all the good craft shops, including Country View Crafts of course.
If you have held an Infusion bottle from Paper Artsy you will be surprised at how heavy the Rust bottle feels, although it is the same size as the Infusion! This is because the powder is actual metal and not a pigment.

To use, coat the items to be rusted, in my case some cardboard cogs, with an acrylic medium and sprinkle the powder over the top. Let the medium dry, then spray water or water+vinegar to activate the powder and within 20mns to half an hour the rust colour will appear as if by magic!
Don't forget, like I did, to paint a basecoat for your rust effect BEFORE applying the powder!
 
 
I chose dark grey and blue, and had to apply it after the rust... Alcohol inks were perfect and disaster was avoided. [Sorry no photos of said rusting cogs in action...]
Before I get further in my explanations let's show you my make!



For the background I coated my canvas with a mix of Primary Cyan and Prussian blue DecoArt fluid acrylics with some thick gel medium.


Next I applied some crackle glaze and, when dry, a coat of medium grey acrylic. It didn't look very good so I added some pink acrylic ink and then some ochre.

My focal point is an image by Katzelkraft which I stamped on tissue paper with Brilliance ink. I chose this ink because Archival or Versafine inks have a tendency to spread on such a thin paper. Using a wet brush around the image I obtained a feather edge to the image , this helps to get the tissue paper to "disappear" on the finished canvas.
I painted the back of the figure in white where the highlights are, and stuck it with acrylic medium, coating the top as well as the back.

I stamped some texture with a Prima clear stamp (Peeled Paint) and embossed with a mix of powders that include Wow Black puff, clear UTEE, Frantage Aged Copper and some tarnished gold. I can't be more precise than that as I use the same container for my mix and I can't remember what it had in it before I added that day's powder...
It's fun to see the results though!

For the finishing touch I added my rusty cogs with acrylic medium, adding a snippet of fabric and some micro beads.

Do visit the Country View Challenge blog to see more inspiring projects by my teamies and come back from my 2nd Rusty make later this month.

Thanks for coming by,
I am entering the Vintage Journey, SanDee & Amelie's,  Fashionable StampingThe Artistic Stamper and SSS Wednesday challenges.

23 comments:

  1. Terrific background to show off the man on a very different bike

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous vintage project and rusty cogs. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this Christine, the pop of blue and the Frantage are perfect for the rusty cogs. Have a fun weekend. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great composition Christine, we have used the same product, but haven't done the same theme this time! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project - I love those cogs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous vintage project, Christine! Your gears look absolutely vintage and naturally rusty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your rusty canvas, Christine! The gears and cogs are fabulous!
    xxx Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous. I love it. The rust looks great and thanks for the vinegar tip. Will try that. Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great piece. Love the splash of cobalt blue to focus the eye in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh I like this Christine! Totally mixed media and lots of inky goodness!! Love that central image and how you got it on there, thank you for sharing this with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges,
    Leanne DT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. merci de ta participation a notre challenge Sandee & Amelie's par ce beau projet à bientôt Nate

    ReplyDelete
  12. A super fusion of colours on your canvas Christine and the addition of the textures around the edge really draw the eye to the focal image and super rusty cogs.

    Many thanks for sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, it's the first time that I've seen 'Rust Powder' and it's stunning. The cogs look like they've been found in a garage after fifty years! It's really lovely to see how this piece of art progressed and the finished piece is fabulous. Great stamping and the colours look just perfect. Great work Christine. Thank you for sharing it with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges. Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great canvas Christine I love those rusted cogs. I must get some rust powder xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab Canvas! Thank you for joining in The Artistic Stamper Challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Christine, that's a wonderful background and great embellishments for the image,
    Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! And I love those spreckles of the Fran-tage Aged Copper embossing enamel!
    Thank you for joining in our challenge over at SASPC!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cool! I love those rusted cogs, and the blue area works so well to frame that fabulous vintage cyclist.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous Christine, the old gent looks as happy as Larry on his bike. Brilliant how everything gels together especially the cogs and scrap of muslin cloth.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A fantastic rusted canvas with some very clever ways of achieving an aged look for your cyclist. Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an awesome rusted canvas! I just love your amazing effects and the great stamp. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete